Saturday 27 June 2015

BOOK REVIEW : NEW CUTS FOR NEW QUILTS - BY KARLA ALEXANDER

This book was purchased by my quilting partners in crime, Aunty Anne and Lorraine when we were in Townsville for our retreat challenge. The challenge was to choose a quilt from this book and make it in time for the next retreat (which we ultimately did not go to in Bendigo and thus showed our quilts in Launceston). The criteria was we had to use stash AND we had a communal fabric a brown/green batik which we had each bought half a metre of which also needed to be used in the quilt.
I chose the 9 patch design, Trident Links. At first it took me a while to get my head around the main deck stacking instructions but once I had the fabric out and worked out my stacks, I was ok.
I found with this quilt pinning the stacks together was useful. Do read each instruction/step carefully.
There are some great quilts in this book (17 to be exact) that would also make great stash busters as well as project a group challenge amongst friends or within a guild or maybe on your own on a rainy day. You could piece a top within the day.






Click here if you cannot see the picture in your email.

My quilt is called "Berry Nice" and you can see it below. Quilted by Sharon "The Patchwork Quilter" here in Adelaide.


 My cat Halo loves this quilt, as do I

On show at Launcestion retreat


So for some great project ideas, grab a copy of this book, shop your stash and make some different quilts!

Enjoy your Sunday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment